Terms and conditions
1. ITU Photo Competition “Technology for Good” 2022
- By entering the ITU Photo Competition “Technology for Good” 2022 (the “Competition”), you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete. You are responsible for keeping such information up-to-date. The International Telecommunication Union (the “Organizer”) reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all participants.
- By entering the Competition, you accept the present terms and conditions.
- No payment of any kind is required to enter or win the Competition.
- The Competition will be administered by the Organizer through the Competition’s website; please follow the instructions under ITU Photo Competition “Technology for Good” 2022 here.
- The Competition is open to all individuals that are at least 18 years of age at the time of entry. It is also open to corporate entities such as ITU members and United Nations system organizations.
- There are three categories for the submission of an entry: Green; Gender; and Youth.
- The Organizer does not provide the equipment or technical/communication infrastructure necessary to participate and submit an entry to the Competition.
- Participants who are employees (or members of an employee’s nuclear family or household) of ITU or holding an offer for future employment with ITU, or who are employed by or related with any member of the selection committee of the Competition, are not eligible to participate in the Competition.
- You hereby acknowledge that participation in the Competition is free of charge but does not entail any right to compensation of any kind or to reimbursement of any expenses incurred.
- All entries must be submitted in English.
- All entries, regardless of categories, must not: (a) violate the intellectual property rights of third parties; (b) be illegal under applicable national laws and international law; and (c) depict or incite hatred, defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten a specific person or social group, incite violence or conflict or otherwise violate the legal rights of third parties (including those of privacy and publicity).
Terms and Conditions of participation
2. Material specifications
The Competition shall consider only those submissions that fulfil the following requirements:
- Each participant may submit a maximum of 5 entries (collectively, the “Photos”).
- To enter the Competition – all entries must be submitted via the submission form on the Competition’s website.
- The names of the files to be submitted should be as follows: FirstName-LastName-Country. The photo caption should provide, at a minimum, details of the content, when and where shot, who is in it and what is happening.
- Entries will only be accepted in digital format and must not be digitally enhanced or manipulated in any way.
- Image files should be 256 megabytes or smaller, must be in .jpg format, and must have a capture resolution of 1600×1200 pixels.
- The Photos should neither violate the rights of a third party, nor contain offensive content.
- The Photos must not be watermarked.
- The Photos may be taken with photo cameras, with mobile phones or with drones.
- The Photos that have won awards in other photographic contests will not be considered.
- Subject to the foregoing, however, the Photos may have been published earlier.
- The Photos must be sent by 23:59 Midnight (Europe Central Time) of 22 July 2022.
- The Organizer has the right to exclude Photos if they do not conform to the above conditions.
3. Selection criteria
The judges selection will be based on several of the following criteria
- Entries have met technical submission criteria.
- Copyright cleared.
- Not exhibited before.
- Does not contain any subject matter that may be deemed to be offensive.
- Innovate approach to the composition, treatment of the subject.
- Artistic value.
- Gender balance.
- Geographical location.
- Urban or rural choice of setting.
- Coverage of one of three principal themes: Green; Gender; Youth.
- Benefits of technology illustrated.
- Inclusion of technology in submissions.
4. Selection and prizes
- The selection of winners will be made by a selection committee determined by the Organizer. Decisions of the selection committee are final and without appeal.
- The three (3) winners in each of the three (3) categories of the Competition (nine (9) winners in total) shall be determined by the selection committee and will be announced at the ITU Plenipotentiary Conference 2022. The Organizer will notify the winners via email prior to the announcement.
- Each of the nine (9) winners will receive a prize equivalent to CHF 500.
After the award ceremony, a digital exhibition will be held during the ITU Plenipotentiary Conference 2022 (26 September to 14 October 2022) with the winning Photos. The winning photographers acknowledge that they will make themselves available to participate in the award ceremony remotely (data/time and connectivity permitting), sometime during the Conference.
All participants will retain the intellectual property rights on the Photos. However, by entering the Competition, each participant grants the Organizer a limited, non-exclusive, global, royalty-free right and license to use, reproduce, communicate, demonstrate, make available for public display and distribute the Photos for the Organizer’s marketing, promotional, informational and educational or awareness purposes, via printed or digital or online media, including the Organizer’s website. The participant hereby represents that he/she has the legal right to grant such license to the Organizer. The Organizer will not use the Photos for commercial use or for use of third-party photo libraries.
All Photos, whether among the winning Photos or not, may be used to further the aims and work of the Organizer. The Photos cannot be used for advertising, marketing or in ways which are inconsistent with the Organizer’s mission. The Photos and/or related metadata will be archived in a digital asset management system (native or third-party) or on a third-party multimedia platform such as Flickr.
8. Data protection
In addition to the terms of the general privacy notice of ITU’s website, the following terms shall apply with respect to the collection and processing of your personal information by the Organizer and its subcontractors for the Competition:
- You hereby provide your consent for the processing and storage by the Organizer of all contact information submitted by you to the Organizer (hereinafter, the “Participant Data”), for the purpose of managing your participation request and for enabling and facilitating your participation in the Competition. You acknowledge that, to the extent that it is necessary, the Organizer may pass such Participant Data to third parties who assist the Organizer in the organization and management of the Competition, or provide Competition-related services on behalf of the Organizer. Prior to sharing Participant Data with third parties, the Organizer satisfies itself that such third parties afford appropriate protection with respect to the processing of personal information.
- Furthermore, the Organizer may also use the Participant Data to provide participants with additional information in relation to other upcoming events of the Organizer which the Organizer reasonably believes could be of interest to a participant or his/her organization, and to carry out surveys in relation to events of the Organizer. Each participant may choose not to receive information related to events of the Organizer by unsubscribing from such newsletters by clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link in each newsletter.
9. Other conditions
- By entering the Competition, participants agree to release and hold harmless the Organizer from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to negligence and damages of any kind to persons and property, infringement of trademark, copyright or other intellectual property rights arising out of or relating to their participation in the Competition and the contents of their submissions.
- The Organizer reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any submission which does not comply with the present Terms and Conditions.
- The Organizer is not responsible for lost, late, corrupted, mutilated or misdirected submissions, or submissions not received in time for judging (deadline of submission is 23:59 Midnight (Europe Central Time) on 15 July 2022).
- Participants in the Competition are not allowed to use the titles, acronyms and logos of the Organizer or other branding (e.g. logos, slogan) elements on the Photos.
- The Organizer shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to abbreviate, modify, suspend, cancel or terminate the Competition without any future obligation, by notifying the applicants via an announcement at the Competition’s website.
- The Organizer reserves the right to make all final decisions. Nothing herein shall be considered to be a limitation or a waiver of the privileges and immunities of the ITU, which are specifically reserved.
All necessary information for the Competition shall be announced on the Competition’s website: https://pp22.itu.int/en/newsroom/photo-competition/. For any additional queries regarding the competition rules, please contact email@example.com.